Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 17-19: Painting the bathroom

I was getting quite sick of the bathroom being in disarray so once the stinky sealant was dry I went and got two litres of bathroom paint in our chosen colour: Resene Scandal.  It is a very vivid aqua - more blue than green.

Right away we experienced problems with the paint.  It seemed very thick, even with a lot of stirring.  It still had the air bubbles from being in the paint mixer when I opened it but it was very thick.  I poured some into the paint tray to use the roller - this did not go on well - very hard to describe but quite bubbly and not sticking evenly.  I decided to leave the roller and just use the brush.  It took about two hours.  I would have needed to use the brush a lot anyway, as the bathroom is full of narrow panels and fiddly bits.  The first coat looked really streaky, uneven and had some strange drips.  We were quite alarmed, but then this was our first surface that didn't have textured wallpaper all over, so wondered if this was typical for a smooth surface.  The second coat went on late at night after a warm day.  After an hour of hard out painting I was hot and sweaty.  The paint cover looked great, but heaps of drips developed.  It was quite strange.  I kept prancing around flicking over them, but they kept popping up.  In the morning I decided to do a third coat.  I felt quite frustrated about this.  Finally, drips developed on the third coat so I had to touch over them the next day.

I discussed the paint with the shop staff who were very diligent at running through the explanations.  They had no idea, other than it sounded similiar to something that can happen the first few times the paint gets steam exposure (eg from a shower) after painting.  Still, I was a bit disappointed so when the next paint colour to catch my eye came from a competitor I decided to go with it rather than make my next purchase at Resene (of course I was back at Resenes two days later)!

No comments:

Post a Comment